Protecting our pipelines – and our good name
Excavation or construction work close to gas pipelines requires special know-how. If third parties conduct this sensitive work, we need to take additional steps to protect our pipelines and other systems such as underground cables (fiber optic cable) against damage. Third parties must meet the same strict safety requirements that we place on our own employees. Our safety standards for work in the vicinity of pipelines are outlined in a special brochure (Richtlinie für sicheres Arbeiten im Nahbereich von Erdgasleitungsanlagen – German only).
The key points in a nutshell
- Gas Connect Austria provides the plans. To obtain plans, please contact our planning information staff.
- All work requires formal approval. Applications for approval must be made at least seven days before work starts.
- Pipeline facilities must be marked on site before the commencement of works.
- Clearance to start work must be obtained on site.
- In all cases Gas Connect Austria in advance must have the opportunity to send a staff member acting as construction escort.
- Construction escort: On request GCA will, without charging for it, send a person supporting works concerning GCA’s pipeline corridor respectively as far as GCA systems could be affected. The person escorting construction may give advise or orders concerning the safety of GCA’s systems. Orders concerning the safety of GCA’s systems shall be met. But construction escort shall not be liable regarding the obligations of third parties especially regarding on-site construction supervision of third parties’ constructions, complying with applicable technical rules (ÖNORM, ÖVGW-directives) nor checking compliance with necessary diligence.