Our history

  • October 1957: OMV brings its first gas reception station onstream, in Auersthal.
  • July 1959: The Baumgarten gas reception facility comes onstream.
  • October 1959: First deliveries of gas to Wiener Stadtwerke, Vienna’s municipal service provider.
  • June 1968: OMV signs its first-ever gas import agreement with Russia. Deliveries of Russian gas to Austria – and from Austria to the rest of Europe – begin in September.
  • May 1974: The Trans Austria Gasleitung (TAG) comes onstream.
  • July 1977: The Schönkirchen/Reyersdorf gas storage facility is commissioned.
  • January 1980: The West-Austria-Gasleitung (WAG) comes onstream.
  • November 1986: First gas import agreement with Norway is concluded, for gas from the Troll field in the North Sea.
  • May 1993: A smart “pig” is used in Austria for the first time, to inspect a section of the TAG pipeline.
  • October 1993: Deliveries of Norwegian gas from the Troll field to Austria commence.
  • 1998: The 100 billionth cubic metre of natural gas from Russia arrives in Austria.
  • October 2001: OMV Erdgas GmbH, the forerunner of Gas Connect Austria, is spun off from the OMV Group as part of the liberalisation of the European gas market. Initially, it is responsible for procuring, trading, transporting and storing gas in Austria.
  • October 2002: OMV Erdgas GmbH completes the physical separation from its parent company by relocating to floridotower in Vienna’s 21st district.
  • May 2004: OMV Erdgas GmbH is renamed OMV Gas GmbH.
  • 2006: Procurement and trading activities are spun off into newly established OMV Gas International GmbH.
  • 2010: Storage activities are spun off to a new company, OMV Gas Storage GmbH.
  • October 2011: The Austrian Parliament passes the new Natural Gas Act, implementing the European Union’s third energy package and providing for the separation of system operation from trading and production. Companies operating in these areas are required to have a distinct corporate identity – meaning that the company needs a new name and a new logo.
  • January 2012: OMV Gas GmbH begins trading under its new name, Gas Connect Austria GmbH. The company remains a wholly-owned subsidiary of OMV.
  • April 2012: Gas Connect Austria is named market area manager, becoming responsible for key network control tasks and infrastructure planning for the Austrian transmission system.
  • September 2014: spin-off of the business unit Trans-Austria Gasleitung to TAG GmbH and integration of Baumgarten-Oberkappel-Gasleitungsgesellschaft m.b.H. in the company.
  • December 2016: Completion of the sale of a 49% stake in Gas Connect Austria by OMV to a consortium composed of Allianz and Snam.
  • June 2017: As of 1 June, the Market Area Manager function has been transferred to AGGM Austrian Gas Grid Management AG.